The last week of classes, three squashes met its end in my kitchen. You could say I had a bit of a massacre. I stuffed two squashes with quinoa and I made a spicy butternut squash with the chilies from my garden that I dried. I went off script with both of these recipes; so I have a recipe that I can give you. After I cut open and dug the seeds out of the squash, I set them aside and made the quinoa. For the quinoa, I changed out the water recommended by the packaging on the quinoa (I still used the amount) with vegetable broth and to it I added a chopped onion, a clove of garlic, a quarter cup of dried cranberries and some pistachios. I started by sautéing the onions and garlic in some butter. Then, I added it to the quinoa and broth and cooked the quinoa as directed.
In the last couple of minutes, I added the nuts and cranberries. After the quinoa was ready, I divided it up and scooped it into the squash halves which I had arranged on a oiled baking tray, cut side up.
After the squashes were stuffed to the gills, I put them in an oven that had been preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
I roasted them for 45 minutes and then checked to see if they were done. They were and they were gorgeous. I served these puppies with a nice salad with some ranch. I am a Midwesterner after all, and we are obsessed with ranch.
2 Delicata squash
¾ cup of quinoa and the amount of water (or broth) suggested by the packaging
¼ cup of dried cranberries
¼ cup of pistachios
1 chopped onion
1 clove of garlic
1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra oil for the baking sheet
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Discard the seeds
- Oil a baking sheet and arrange squash cut side up
- Sauté the chopped onion and garlic in the tbsp of olive oil
- Prepare the quinoa according to the package. Add the onion and the garlic at the beginning and the pistachios and cranberries 5 minutes from the end
- Stuff the squash with the quinoa mixture
- Roast for 45 minutes. Check for doneness. If not done, put back in oven for 5 minutes.